Claiming Back Your VAT
All attendees of a London based course incur VAT as a part of the cost of attendance.
Euromoney Learning have partnered with VAT IT to allow you the unique opportunity to recoup the VAT incurred.
Using VAT IT's extensive experience and simple sign-up and refund process, every invoice can be turned into cash for your business.
Claim the VAT that's rightfully yours in four simple steps:
1. Register your interest
2. Sign a few simple documents
3. VAT IT processes your claim
4. Receive your refund
Why choose VAT IT
VAT IT have spent two decades identifying, researching and perfecting the foreign VAT Reclaim process and built the best back end technology in the industry. By partnering with Euromoney Learning, we can provide you with a fast and effective way to reclaim your VAT which helps reduce the cost of your training.
VAT IT will charge a percentage of the VAT refund if/when it is successful.
Can I claim back the VAT myself?
You can claim back VAT directly from the UK Tax Authority (HMRC) by completing the following form.
For European clients, please refer to form VAT 65.
All other clients, please refer to form VAT 65A.
You may also be able to claim back your VAT against courses taking place outside of the UK, and we would recommend contacting VAT IT, our specialist partner, to discuss how to do this.
Finance for Lawyers
Course OverviewThis intensive 4-day course is designed to provide legal professionals with a better understanding of the language and meaning of financial terminology and its relevance to real world economic activity.
A highly practical and interactive course, it combines the material originally offered in the 5-day Financial Analysis and Forecasting course and the 4-day Advanced Business and Financial Analysis course to enhance your knowledge and familiarity of the overall concepts and language used in financial analysis, credit transactions and other banking and corporate finance activities.
Using case studies, lectures and practical group exercises, you will develop a hands-on understanding of the world of finance that enables more effective working relationships with banking and finance professionals.
Who should attend this course?The course is ideal for lawyers and others who need to be familiar with the overall concepts and language used in financial analysis, credit transactions and other banking and corporate finance activities.
The course assumes no prior knowledge of finance. The first session introduces the fundamental logic inherent in operating a successful business before delving into the course materials. For those who have never touched spreadsheets before, this course represents a gentle introduction.
RequirementsYou should bring a simple calculator for use in financial analysis exercises. A laptop with spreadsheet software is useful for completing the case at the end of day two.
DEVELOPING MODERN FINANCIAL ANALYSIS SKILLS
Introduction to Financial Analysis
• Differences in UK/US accounting terminology
• Identifying the relationship between cash flow and profit
• Development of an integrated cash flow model
• Recognising it’s all about cash
• Understanding the relationships between the three main accounting statements.
Exercise 1 - Accounting terminology exercise
Fundamentals of Accounting Statements - The Profit & Loss Account
• How the P&L has changed over the last 25 years
• Detailed review of the Profit and Loss Account including explanation of all significant accounting terminology.
• Profit types - trading, asset and business
• Inventory, Depreciation, Capitalised interest
• Minority interests and consolidation
• Exceptional and material items
Fundamentals of Accounting Statements - The Balance Sheet
• Detailed review of the Balance Sheet including explanation of all significant accounting terminology
• Understanding the fixed assets note
• Accounting goodwill – what is it?
• Liabilities, pension fund accounting
• Debt and other liabilities like debt
• Deferred tax, contingent liabilities
Accounting Abuses and Update
• Abuses of Fair Accounting
• Basic abuses relevant to all businesses
• More complex abuses relevant to larger groups
Case Study – Major Holiday group
Delegates examine and evaluate the P&L of this major UK based travel group
CASH FLOW ANALYSIS, ACCOUNTING ISSUES, AND PROJECT ANALYSIS
Understanding Cash Flows
• Detailed review of the Cash Flow Statement
• Analysing and interpreting cash flows
• Summarising cash flows for analysis
Case study - Summarising cash flows - delegates summarise cash flows for analysis purposes
Cash Flow Analysis
• Defining free cash flow
Case Study - Examining patterns of cash flows - delegates match cash flows to sectors
Case Study – Cash Flow Analysis
Delegates review the cash flow statement of a further business to gain a better understanding of the content of the statement.
Financial Analysis Techniques – Ratio Analysis
• Objectives of ratio analysis
• Developing ratio analysis skills
• Understanding the classic ratios
• How much information is there in ratios?
• Ratio rules – avoiding errors of principle
Case Study - Ratio Calculation
Delegates Calculate ratios for a leading UK retail group.
Delegates consider what ratios do and don’t tell us.
Evaluating Capital Investment Projects
• Introduction to capital budgeting
• Discounted cash flow techniques
• Calculating the internal rate of return
Case study - Speculative housing project - Delegates perform investment appraisals to decide whether to proceed with a capital investment and delate to the borrowing required.
Case Study – Eight Projects
Delegates evaluate a number of projects and decide which projects should be pursued and which rejected.
SOVEREIGN, SECTOR AND BUSINESS RISK.
LEVERAGE AND TOPICAL ACCOUNTING
Economic and Country Risk
• Understanding the indicators & signals
• Implications of macro-economic change for Investors, Banks and Businesses
• The relationship between business risk & financial risk
• The four phases of the corporate life-cycle
• Identifying appropriate funding structures
• Recognising the drivers of funding strategies
Credit Analysis - The Basic Concepts
• Introducing credit analysis frameworks
• Financial analysis - review of the issues
• Non-financial analysis – Developing a framework
Overview of Non-Financial Analysis
• Strategy analysis - what is strategy/business risk?
• Overview of strategy terminology and concepts.
• Exercises - Strategy concepts multiple choice
Techniques for Corporate Assessment
• A pyramid model for strategy evaluation
• SWOT/Environmental analysis
• Porters five forces
• Boston portfolio matrix
• Environments matrix
• Exercises - Strategy evaluation techniques multiple choice
Overview of Global Accounting in the New Century
• The history of international accounting
• Current international accounting approaches
• The major issues in international accounting
• The implications of the IAS Initiative
• Currently contentious accounting issues
Our Tailored Learning Offering
Do you have five or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could even save up to 50% on the cost of sending delegates to a public course and dramatically increase your ROI.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment.
We have a combined experience of over 60 years providing learning solutions to the world’s major organisations and are privileged to have contributed to their success. We view our clients as partners and focus on understanding the needs of each organisation we work with to tailor learning solutions to specific requirements.
We are proud of our record of customer satisfaction. Here is why you should choose us to help you achieve your goals and accelerate your career:
- Quality – our clients consistently rate our performance ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’. Our average overall score awarded to us by our clients is nine out of ten.
- Track record – we have delivered training solutions for 95% of worlds’ top 100 banks and have trained over 250,000 professionals.
- Knowledge – our 150 strong team of industry specialist trainers are world leading financial leaders and commentators, ensuring our knowledge base is second to none.
- Reliability – if we promise it, we deliver it. We have delivered over 20,000 events both in person and online, using simultaneous translation to delegates from over 180 countries.
- Recognition – we are accredited by the British Accreditation Council and the CPD Certification Service. In an independent review by Feefo we scored 96% on service and 95% on product
Your training venue will be confirmed by one of our course administrators approximately 3-4 weeks before the course start date.
As such we have detailed our most frequently used training destinations in London on this map. If you need help booking accommodation for your visit to our training courses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our partners will help you get the best rate possible."