Claiming Back Your VAT
All attendees of a London based course incur VAT as a part of the cost of attendance.
Euromoney Learning have partnered with VAT IT to allow you the unique opportunity to recoup the VAT incurred.
Using VAT IT's extensive experience and simple sign-up and refund process, every invoice can be turned into cash for your business.
Claim the VAT that's rightfully yours in four simple steps:
1. Register your interest
2. Sign a few simple documents
3. VAT IT processes your claim
4. Receive your refund
Why choose VAT IT
VAT IT have spent two decades identifying, researching and perfecting the foreign VAT Reclaim process and built the best back end technology in the industry. By partnering with Euromoney Learning, we can provide you with a fast and effective way to reclaim your VAT which helps reduce the cost of your training.
VAT IT will charge a percentage of the VAT refund if/when it is successful.
Can I claim back the VAT myself?
You can claim back VAT directly from the UK Tax Authority (HMRC) by completing the following form.
For European clients, please refer to form VAT 65.
All other clients, please refer to form VAT 65A.
You may also be able to claim back your VAT against courses taking place outside of the UK, and we would recommend contacting VAT IT, our specialist partner, to discuss how to do this.
Company Secretary Programme
Boards of directors need the right support to enable them to be effective. Members of boards need to know what support they need and how to get it. All boards should aim to deliver effective entrepreneurial leadership and this requires high quality, relevant and timely support, information and advice to enable the board to make effective decisions and set strategy. Those directly supporting and presenting to boards need to ensure that they are supporting and presenting to boards in the most effective way they can.
The executive team and in particular the Board/Company Secretary and the General Counsel provide a key role in supporting the board. This course is intended for those who need to understand the breadth and scope of the role and responsibilities of both directors and those who support boards and in particular Company Secretaries and In-House Counsel. It is also relevant to those professional who are directly involved in board support and board information preparation and presentation to help them provide to their boards the best quality board support and to enable them to consider what practical steps they can take to deliver better quality board support.
This course will broaden the awareness of members of and advisers to boards of directors of methods of improving board support mechanisms and frameworks. This course will provide an opportunity for participants to update their knowledge and to explore the available mechanisms to provide the effective board support necessary in order to fulfil their roles.
The course will explore the role of the Board/Company Secretary (or those providing support to the board of directors) as this role continues to evolve into a cohesive governance role and is now all about being:
- An active participant with the board and directors to ensure good corporate governance and board effectiveness;
- An advisor to the board to ensure that board intentions and policies are aligned and functioning correctly;
- A gatekeeper to ensure that laws are not broken and that policies are complied with; and
- An enabler and provider of information on trends and new developments.
An advanced 4-day course that provides a vital overview to the board support practices and mechanisms that exist in listed and non-listed companies, banks and other financial institutions.The course will contain a variety of training activities that include:
Practical guidance will be provided on such issues as:
- Being a Board/Company Secretary
- Managing information flows
- Managing meetings from conception to follow up
- Governance frameworks
- Dealing with regulators and other stakeholders
- How to guide and influence
- Best practice guidance on policies and procedures
- Practical presentations and lectures
- Group discussions
- Case studies
- Board support simulations and role plays
By attending this course delegates will:
- Understand the role and responsibilities of the board and its committees and the governance context boards operate within
- Consider what prudent and effective controls sit around the board and committee meeting and strategic board reporting processes
- Review what is essential for any meeting to be successful
- Understand what goes into the preparation leading up to meetings
- Recognise common areas that can cause problems
- Take away key actions and ideas to improve on governance practices and strategic board reporting and presentation skills
The Role and Responsibilities of the Company Secretary and those Providing Board SupportWhat does an Effective Company Secretary do?
- Regulation and legal aspects to include: Director’s Duties in the Companies Act, the role of regulators, the importance of the Articles of Association, regulatory submissions
- Corporate Governance aspects to include: key provisions of international corporate governance codes, the concept of independence and effective board procedures
- The role of the board as a decision making body to include: delegation to committees, key committee terms of reference and schedule of matters reserved to the board
- The unitary board concept to include: information asymmetry between Non-Executive Directors and Executive Directors and challenges that the asymmetry poses to board support
- The role of advisors, the role of the Company Secretary and the need for independent advice
- The provision of information to the board and its committees
The Role of the Company Secretary in Different Jurisdictions
- Diversity of practices and norms and cross-border complexity
- Responsibilities to the board, the company and shareholders
- Core duties
- Additional duties that may come with the role
- Structure of the secretariat and combining the role with other functions
- Directing the focus of the board
- Potential to expand the mandate of board support functions
- Keeping up to date with developments
What are the Compliance Functions of the Company Secretary? Stock exchange requirements
- Statutory registers
- Statutory and regulatory returns
- Report and accounts
- Share and capital issues restructuring
- Acquisitions, disposals and mergers
Supporting Boards: Board Meetings, General Meetings and Information FlowsHow to Get the Most Out of Meetings
- The annual calendar of board business and the forward planner
- Meeting frequency
- Meeting duration
- Attendance issues
- The purpose and legal standing of board packs/document discovery and confidentiality aspects
- Ensuring board papers are ‘fit for purpose’ to facilitate good decision making
- Using IT effectively in board processes
- Minutes of meetings and minute logs
- Document retention and document retention policies
Common Problem Areas
- Meetings organisation and set up arrangements
- Roles and responsibilities
- Any other business items
- Time management
- Meeting behaviours
The Importance of Information Flows
- Meeting type: offsite/strategy/planning and how best to support them
- Defining the purpose of the meeting, agenda setting and management
- Dealing with routine and non routine items
- Getting the most out of pre-meetings with Chair and key participants
- Circulating board papers/timing/method/equivalence of information
Supporting Boards and the Organisation by Improving Corporate GovernanceThe Company Secretary and the Governance Framework
- The Company Secretary and the overall governance architecture of the organisation
- The Company Secretary as a ‘gatekeeper’
- Who owns the governance framework of an organisation
- The link between the board and the business
- Being a point of access, services and advice for all directors
- Responsibility for all board procedures and the compliance of board procedures
- Working together with the Chairman on governance issues
- Advising and assisting Directors on their duties and responsibilities
- Promoting and reviewing new corporate governance developments
- Acting as a communicator with Non-Executive Directors
The Company Secretary: Induction and Training
- Role in facilitating director induction and professional development
- Effective management of the conflicts inherent in the role
- Managing the impacts of additional duties and exploring other duties
The Company Secretary and Board and Committee Evaluations
- Role of board and individual evaluations
- Development role
Outline Board Evaluation template
KPI's for Cosec Team
Day 4The Company Secretary: Directing the Focus of the Board
How to Guide and Influence
- Forward planner/board paper tracking schedules/use of templates
- Effective use of pre-meetings
- Enhanced communication and follow-up
- Use of external independent advice
- Reviewing past decisions
- Managing change
- Managing crisis
Working with Directors
- The Company Secretary’s role in decision making
The Company Secretary and Shareholders
- Shareholder communications and documents: notice of AGM and proxy forms and communications with shareholders
- Ascertaining who the shareholders actually are and shareholder monitoring issues: who actually are the owners?
- Board support and investor relations
- Stewardship Code considerations and enhanced engagement opportunities
Skills of the Company Secretary
- What qualities are needed
- Mandate of the Company Secretary
- Potential to narrow or expand
- Perception of the Company Secretary
- Strategic v administrative
- Potential to be seen as uncommercial
- Acting as an interface between the board and the business
- Future trends and how to keep up to date
Our Tailored Learning Offering
Do you have five or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could even save up to 50% on the cost of sending delegates to a public course and dramatically increase your ROI.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment.
We have a combined experience of over 60 years providing learning solutions to the world’s major organisations and are privileged to have contributed to their success. We view our clients as partners and focus on understanding the needs of each organisation we work with to tailor learning solutions to specific requirements.
We are proud of our record of customer satisfaction. Here is why you should choose us to help you achieve your goals and accelerate your career:
- Quality – our clients consistently rate our performance ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’. Our average overall score awarded to us by our clients is nine out of ten.
- Track record – we have delivered training solutions for 95% of worlds’ top 100 banks and have trained over 250,000 professionals.
- Knowledge – our 150 strong team of industry specialist trainers are world leading financial leaders and commentators, ensuring our knowledge base is second to none.
- Reliability – if we promise it, we deliver it. We have delivered over 20,000 events both in person and online, using simultaneous translation to delegates from over 180 countries.
- Recognition – we are accredited by the British Accreditation Council and the CPD Certification Service. In an independent review by Feefo we scored 96% on service and 95% on product
Your training venue will be confirmed by one of our course administrators approximately 3-4 weeks before the course start date.
As such we have detailed our most frequently used training destinations in London on this map. If you need help booking accommodation for your visit to our training courses, please contact email@example.com and one of our partners will help you get the best rate possible."