Euromoney Learning On-Demand
Powered by Finance Unlocked
Learn about every aspect of finance, delivered through one-off videos and in-depth pathwaysLearn More
VAT on Virtual and Online Programmes
Claiming Back Your VAT
All attendees of a London based course incur VAT as a part of the cost of attendance.
Euromoney Learning have partnered with VAT IT to allow you the unique opportunity to recoup the VAT incurred.
Using VAT IT's extensive experience and simple sign-up and refund process, every invoice can be turned into cash for your business.
Claim the VAT that's rightfully yours in four simple steps:
1. Register your interest
2. Sign a few simple documents
3. VAT IT processes your claim
4. Receive your refund
Why choose VAT IT
VAT IT have spent two decades identifying, researching and perfecting the foreign VAT Reclaim process and built the best back end technology in the industry. By partnering with Euromoney Learning, we can provide you with a fast and effective way to reclaim your VAT which helps reduce the cost of your training.
VAT IT will charge a percentage of the VAT refund if/when it is successful.
Can I claim back the VAT myself?
You can claim back VAT directly from the UK Tax Authority (HMRC) by completing the following form.
For European clients, please refer to form VAT 65.
All other clients, please refer to form VAT 65A.
You may also be able to claim back your VAT against courses taking place outside of the UK, and we would recommend contacting VAT IT, our specialist partner, to discuss how to do this.
School of Real Estate Finance, Investment and Development
Understand the complex process of real estate investment, finance and development
A practical modular programme with case studies and integrated cash flow modelling for analysts, investors, financiers, developers and advisors.
This course is made up of two individually bookable modules, which delegates are also able to book on
Real Estate Development Finance (2 days)
The 5 day school features
3-Day Investment Module
- Interactive case studies based on actual projects with spreadsheet analysis
- Real estate markets: Macro View
- Evidence of cycles in property markets
- Appraisal & valuation fundamentals
- Sourcing product & asset management
- Developing cash flow models: Avoiding common mistakes
- Implications of gearing and debt finance
- Mezzanine & Participating Loans
- Modelling the impact of debt, quasi equity and sponsor equity
2-Day Development Module
- Interactive case studies based on actual projects with spreadsheet analysis
- Development analysis and appraisal
- Setting up and modelling a development project
- Cash flow appraisal techniques in development
- Structuring the development finance
- Structuring mezzanine, JV and private equity deals
- Modelling sample waterfall structures
The modules are principally aimed at delegates with previous experience in investment/finance or development strategy, but as the course puts delegates on an interactive learning curve to cover fundamentals of each topic, before moving on to more advanced techniques and applications, it allows delegates from both a junior and more senior experience level to participate together. Articles. papers and further references and reading in the Course
Handbooks provide further information, expand and show potential applications for many of the topics included to give a more rounded understanding.
Real Estate continues to attract the attention of funds, banks, corporates and investors looking for diversification and liability matching. However, cross border investment and financing brings risks as well as opportunities. This programme is designed as an integrated set of modules which will increase participants’ understanding of the complex and changing process of real estate investment, development and finance. In addition to expert course tuition, delegates will benefit from a collegial atmosphere, with networking and information-sharing a valuable part of the course.
The programme’s key objective is to give a clear understanding of the most typical financing and investing structures, as well as the latest thinking in analytical techniques, in a shifting capital markets context.
The recognition and analysis of risk will be a component part of the programme. It covers several techniques and tools that can be applied to dealing with and resolving practical, everyday problems.
Who should attend
- Lending and Finance Bankers
Whilst its focus is primarily on mature markets, the techniques and trends studied will also be relevant to participants investing in property markets in other regions.
This course is made up of two individually bookable modules
Module 2 - Days 4 & 5 - Real Estate Development and Finance
Module 1 - Days 1 - 3
Real Estate Investment & Finance
Day 1: Real Estate Appraisal and Analysis
Valuation and Investment Worth approaches and techniques. Structuring and developing flexible cash flow models for analysing real estate investments. At the end of this module participants should understand the component parts of a real estate cash flow model, the input variables will have been examined in concept spreadsheet models.
- Structure of the Module
- Discussion of delegates’ objectives
- Terminology & Techniques
- Appraisal methods: clarity and transparency
- Market “comps”. What are they? How are they used? Disclosure?
- A framework for Market Value
- Target IRRs / Discount rates
- Types of income: Opportunities or Threats?
- Lease terms & impact on value. Pressures for change
- Understanding yields and cap rates
Spreadsheet Analysis: Valuation Techniques
Setting up, analysing, and comparing different appraisal approaches including Income capitalisation & Depreciated Replacement Cost
Applying and adjusting Cap rates and Income
Using different types of Cap rates
Structuring the Cash flow
How to structure, holding period strategies. Worked examples and practical issues
- Business Plans: Linking objectives to hold period policy, expected returns & risk
- A Cash Flow primer: typical patterns of cash flows
- Discounted Cash Flow construction: Key inputs, variables, and outputs
- Projecting rents, operating expenditure, and cap rates
- Lease roll-overs & expiries: what assumptions to use?
- Net Operating Income: A line by line assessment from gross to net income
- Use of Capital Expenditure: Purpose & effects
- Links to Asset & Property Management
- The Exit: When, Why, How?
- IRR & NPV: Ratio Analysis and Diagnostics including Equity Multiples
- Solving the maximum price to pay / target sale price
Spreadsheet concept models and interactive case studies will be used to illustrate various approaches, techniques, and potential solutions.
- Shaping up the basic Investment deal before finance.
- Solving for transaction prices
- Holding period strategies
- Buy, hold, do nothing; Buy & Improve; Testing the exit
- Line by line build-up of Cash Flows, including Capex and Opex
- IRR, NPV, Income and Exit ratios. Assess uncertainty & the merits of the investment
- Setting the target rate of return. What is an appropriate discount rate?
- What else will show whether it is a good deal?
- “What if” testing and adding sensitivity analysis
- From Sourcing to Closing
- Due Diligence: Identifying potential “Red Flags”
- Asset Management techniques
Participants will work in small groups to analyse a potential purchase that considers the acquisition of an investment and the appropriate Due Diligence processes. How does risk affect the bid strategy?
Case Study 2: Leasing Strategies
Participants will work in small groups to consider the challenges for leasing policies & negotiating strategies. How to attract potential tenants when faced with competing buildings which are being aggressively marketed. What role for leasing agents & property managers? Questions posed include selecting tenants, importance of covenant strength & pricing lease incentives including lease buy outs & re-gearing.
Discussion from Case Studies
- Regearing, tenant covenant, lease length, impact to building value
- Adding and enhancing value
- Leasing strategies
Day 3: Real Estate Finance
Gearing up an investment acquisition (use of leverage). Key financial covenants, sizing the debt, understanding risks, pricing, and risk mitigation.
- Returns on NOI and Returns on EquityTypical financial covenants and points for negotiation
- Different structures, including Amortisation
- Sizing the debt
- Applying financial covenants to the cash flow
- After debt cash flow & metrics
- Impact of varying LTV ratios: Risk & return implications
- Identifying and quantifying the risks in the finance
Financing the investment acquisition of an existing hotel. Participants will discuss terms for a loan for an investment opportunity. Examples of term sheets will be used to focus the discussion on suitable terms. On completion, a spreadsheet model will be used to illustrate the cash flow implications and key structuring issues
- Lease management (e.g. tenant improvement) will affect their project financing
- Balance between capex and sustainable cash flow
- Future proofing your building & prevention of building obsolescence
- Understanding the property cycle & financing through the cycle
- Capex linked it to the property cycle
- Financing using mezzanine / participating structures
- Lookback IRRs, warrants and convertibles
- Worked examples
Mezzanine Finance: Working through the Capital Stack including Lookback and Side by Side participation in a risk return context, by adjusting key inputs to the model
Scenario Analysis: Impact of changing market conditions on Returns & Risk exposure
How does leverage change the risk profile: Income & Exit ratios revisited
After debt Equity Multiples
Development and Finance Module
Development appraisal techniques, risk analysis, tests of profitability and viability, sources and types of finance for development
- Methods & Approaches: From residuals to cash flows
- Line by line items down to affordable land cost or profit
- Refurbishment & repositioning e.g. conversion to co-working or residential
- Ratio analysis: What indicates a viable project?
A spreadsheet model will be used to demonstrate the set-up of development proposal. Ratio analysis & risk analysis techniques will be used to show the implications of changing market conditions.
- Capital Budgeting Technique (NPV)
- Accumulated cash flow and Drawdowns
- Project Discounted Cash Flow
- Structuring the Cash Flows
- Analysing the Outputs: IRR & NPV issues
Appraisal of a new development project. Participants will discuss issues include the risks associated with this project (how should they be measured?), the projected yield on cost ,reasons why this project could be successful or a failure, right price for the land, and pros and cons of how the finance should be structured.
- Pre-let or speculative?
- Construction loan mechanics
- Main Underwriting Criteria
- Project Monitoring: What do Investors & lenders want to know?
- Landowner & Developer JVs
- Traditional JVs and capital partners
- Priority of distributions
- Allocating risk & return
- Prefs, Promotes & waterfalls
- Showing the Exit and Risk
Spreadsheet models will be used to demonstrate the impact of finance on Pre-let and Speculative schemes. Debt and Equity issues will be considered and analysed.
Spreadsheet models will be used to demonstrate the set-up of Joint Ventures, ground leases and private equity models. Delegates will test possible outcomes on the templates provided.
Our Tailored Learning Offering
Do you have five or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could even save up to 50% on the cost of sending delegates to a public course and dramatically increase your ROI.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment.
We have a combined experience of over 60 years providing learning solutions to the world’s major organisations and are privileged to have contributed to their success. We view our clients as partners and focus on understanding the needs of each organisation we work with to tailor learning solutions to specific requirements.
We are proud of our record of customer satisfaction. Here is why you should choose us to help you achieve your goals and accelerate your career:
- Quality – our clients consistently rate our performance ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’. Our average overall score awarded to us by our clients is nine out of ten.
- Track record – 10/10 of the world’s largest banks have chosen us as there training provider and we have delivered training across the largest banks and have trained over 25,000 professionals.
- Knowledge – our 100+ strong team of industry specialist trainers are world leading financial leaders and commentators, ensuring our knowledge base is second to none.
- Reliability – if we promise it, we deliver it. We have delivered over 25,000 events both in person and online, using simultaneous translation to delegates from over 99 countries.
- Recognition – we are accredited by the British Accreditation Council and the CPD Certification Service. In an independent review by Feefo we scored 4.2/5 on service and 4.7/5 on Coursecheck
BiographyThe course director is a Chartered Surveyor whose career has spanned both private and public sector work, including large-scale development schemes, urban regeneration projects, project finance and Private Finance Initiatives (PFI). He has undertaken research and consultancy projects in development, cash flow analysis and corporate real estate and business strategy and trends impacting the real estate industry. He has advised on funding and development strategies in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia as well as having extensive teaching experience in the UK, Hong Kong SAR and Malaysia. His teaching experience has covered specialist Real Estate Investment & Finance Masters and MBA programmes and he runs training courses globally for banks, investment managers, corporate advisory teams, legal firms and public sector clients. Topics covered combine spreadsheet modelling for debt / equity structuring, development appraisals and finance, investment analysis, risk, simulation and portfolio modelling, leases and option pricing, corporate finance models. He combines extensive practical experience with a strong academic background. This enables him to relate theory to practical applications. He is a Registered CPD Presenter - verifying a proven track record in training, lecturing and enhancing skills and knowledge in specialist technical areas with an established practical experience background. The instructor holds MSc in Real Estate Investment & Finance from City University, London where he subsequently became Head of Department. He retains a part-time position as Senior Lecturer in the Faulty of Finance, Cass Business School, teaching on specialist Masters courses and postgraduate programmes.