The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site. Please see our Subscription Terms and Conditions.


All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Capital Markets

UBS moves to up stake in China securities joint venture

UBS has applied to buy out two minority investors in its China joint venture, boosting its stake in Beijing-based UBS Securities to 67%. The bank’s strong and long-standing relationship with the owner of the other 33%, a division of Beijing local government, is a timely reminder that there is no one right model for success in China.

UBS-China-building-Reuters-960.jpg
UBS has a presence in China, including Shanghai. Photo: Reuters

UBS moved on Friday to deepen control of its securities joint venture (JV) in mainland China, by bidding to buy out two minority shareholders.

If successful, it will raise the Swiss lender’s stake in Beijing-based UBS Securities to 67% from 51%. UBS has not disclosed how much it is paying. A media spokesman in Hong Kong declined to comment.

It is a timely reminder not just of China’s clear commitment to opening its financial market to foreign competition but to the fact there is no one right way to carve out a workable strategy in Asia’s largest economy.

Walking own path

For better or worse, each foreign institution has its own approach, timetable and set of long-term ambitions – and that is unlikely to change.

The two selling shareholders are Guangdong Provincial Communication Group and China Guodian Capital Holdings. The first is putting its 14.01% stake in UBS Securities up for sale; the second, its stake of 1.99%.

The Swiss bank said in a statement: “China is a key market for UBS.


You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree