The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Foreign Exchange

FX news: Saxo Bank on the high street

Saxo Bank say it expects to invest upwards of DKr209 million (€28 million) in capital into failing Danish savings bank Brørup Sparekasse in attempt to break into the retail banking sector.


Brørup Sparekasse has a chain of branches throughout Denmark but ran into difficulty in 2009 when poor speculation on unlisted securities caused reported losses of DKr74 million.


The plan is for Brørup Sparekasse to become a joint-stock company, with Saxo owning 90% of the stock and former guarantors taking the other 10%. Saxo’s chief financial officer Karina Deacon and director Christian Kofoed Jacobsen will take seats on the board of Brørup Sparekasse.


Commentators say the reason Saxo has not been able to offer general banking services before is because it lacked adequate IT infrastructure. Buying up Brørup Sparekasse should solve that problem, with the added bonus of coming in relatively cheaply.


The plan has been approved by the Danish financial stability company (Finansiel Stabilitet).

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree