The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2020 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Banking

India: Infrastructure investment gains momentum

Private sector spend up 12-fold; IDFC plans to triple loans

Private investment in Indian infrastructure has risen almost 12-fold as a share of GDP over the past seven years, raising the prospect that the country is making headway in upgrading its power-generation capacity, roads, ports and railways.

Private promoters’ share of investment has risen from 0.3% to about 4% of GDP since 2003, accounting for nearly half of India’s total average annual infrastructure spend since that time. Overall infrastructure investment in India over the same period has doubled from 4% to 8% of GDP.

"The reality is that India has come much further than people realize in a much shorter period of time," says Rajiv Lall, chief executive of state-run lender Infrastructure Development Finance Company, referring to the country’s investments in infrastructure.

"There’s an ugly underbelly to this investment momentum. Entrepreneurs need government to do things for them, which can lead to corruption.

Take out a complimentary trial

Take out a 7 day trial to gain unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com analysis and receive expertly-curated updates direct to your inbox.

 

Already a user?

Login now

 

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree