The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2020 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Banking

Mexico: Santander subsidiary may go for IPO

Spanish bank buys BofA’s minority stake; Valuation now $10 billion

Santander’s acquisition of Bank of America Merrill Lynch’s minority stake in its Mexican subsidiary has increased the likelihood that it will follow in the footsteps of its Brazilian operation and undertake an IPO, according to a source.

Although no details have yet emerged, Santander is well positioned to list Santander Mexico after paying Bank of America $2.5 billion for its 24.9% stake last month. The deal means that Santander now owns 99.9% of the bank. It is likely to mop up the remaining 0.1%, held by a disparate group of investors, in due course.

Santander originally sold the stake to Bank of America in 2003 for $1.6 billion, valuing the bank at $6.4 billion. The transaction last month means that the bank is now valued at $10 billion.

Santander will pay for the stake through its cash reserves. Its core capital will be marginally affected, by 31 basis points, an amount that it takes the group four months to generate organically. The deal will boost earnings per share by 1.3% in the first year and provide a return on capital of 15% from the third year, according to Santander.

With full ownership of the bank, Mexico’s contribution to group profit will increase by two percentage points to 7%.

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree