The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site. Please see our Subscription Terms and Conditions.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Southeast Asia

AIIB and Singapore build for project finance

Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank and Clifford Capital have launched a new financing platform to remove some of the pressure on banks. It will also position Singapore as a leader in the sector.

Funding for project finance in Asia is in high demand as the region strives to update its infrastructure. Asian Development Bank has estimated that $1.5 trillion is needed every year until 2030 to keep up with the funding requirements. But finance has been lacking, with limited options available in the capital markets for private investors to buy, while banks’ balance sheets are stretched just keeping up with the huge demand.

Against that backdrop, the multilateral development bank Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and Clifford Capital, a structured finance solutions provider backed by the Singapore government, set up the new Bayfront Infrastructure Management (BIM) platform in November.

The two partners hope to plug the funding gap by acquiring brownfield projects and infrastructure loans from banks, which have been the largest lenders in the sector, and repackaging them as securitized notes to be sold to institutional investors in the public market.

BIM will sponsor, structure and manage the issuances, working as an aggregator. Debt issued by BIM to acquire and warehouse loans from banks will have a guarantee from the government of Singapore, but the securitized products that BIM will structure and distribute will not.

AIIB will take a 30% equity stake in BIM, and Clifford Capital will hold the other 70%.

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.


Unlimited access to and

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually


Unlimited access to and, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors


Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree