The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site. Please see our Subscription Terms and Conditions.


All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.

Gartmore's future remains uncertain

Flotation of the UK fund manager still only one of several strategies being considered.

Beazley: IPO not on our
immediate radar

Gartmore's global head of institutional and alternative investments, Charles Beazley, has denied rumours of a pending IPO for the UK-based fund manager. Speculation has been rife since CEO Paul Hondros mentioned in a press interview that the company might be floated. Beazley has stressed that while flotation will be among possible strategies considered by management, if it happened it would not be for some time.

US insurer Nationwide Mutual bought Gartmore in 2000 from Royal Bank of Scotland for $1 billion and still owns 80% of the company. The remaining 20% is owned by Gartmore employees. Although it seems likely that Nationwide will ultimately expect some return for its money, Beazley says that the parent and its subsidiary are "enjoying a strong relationship at the moment". He adds: "We are both watching what is happening in the marketplace, but right now the message from the executive committee is that an IPO is not on our immediate radar. Nationwide is making that clear as well."

One ex-Gartmore employee suggests that an IPO would not be on the cards for at least another year.

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree