The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site. Please see our Subscription Terms and Conditions.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2022 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.

Japan set for largest IPO in six years

Back in 1998 the Japanese telecommunications company, NTT DoCoMo, made an offering to investors worth ¥2.1 trillion ($19.1 billion), and it is a measure of Japan's economic fortunes that, in the intervening years, no company has come close to surpassing that offering. But investors will at least be cheered by news that Electric Power Development, the Tokyo-based energy wholesaler, looks set for its own IPO at a value somewhere between ¥347 billion and ¥375 billion. This would make it the largest IPO in Japan since NTT DoCoMo's monster offering in 1998.

The offering has been sparked by a decision from the Japanese government to sell its 83% stake in the company and has fuelled speculation surrounding falling revenues at Japan's fifth largest energy producer. The remaining 17% stake is owned by a number of power utilities in Japan. Nomura Holdings and UBS will be managing the deal.

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.


Unlimited access to and

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually


Unlimited access to and, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors


Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree