The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.

Paris gets a new cuisine

French brokers, like those in other single-currency zone countries, are gradually adapting to a pan-European market. While investors are holding on to domestic equities, they are also boosting portfolios with other European stocks.


"The French equity market has been outperforming Europe since 1997, so there has been no incentive for domestic investors to sell French stocks," says Philippe Legrand, head of pan European equity sales at SG Global Equities. "But they have been adjusting their portfolios with regular movement of new inflows into non-French equities."


There has also been a general shift into equities from other asset classes. Ten years ago, mutual funds in France had only 10% of their total assets in equities, with 60% to 70% of that invested domestically. By 1999, equities had grown to one-third of total mutual fund assets, of which more than 60% is non-French. So the proportion of total funds dedicated to non-French equities has risen from 3% to just less than 20%.


That shift should continue. European rules limiting pension fund investments to 10% in any single exposure present a challenge to funds that follow national stock market indices. The Vodafone/Mannesmann combine, Ericsson, Telefónica and Deutsche Telekom each account for more than 10% of their national market indices.




You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree