The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site. Please see our Subscription Terms and Conditions.


All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Banking

Deals of the year 2010: Rabobank €1.25 billion contingent capital notes

In the past couple of years stiffer capital adequacy rules were agreed on as part of Basle III. While the spirit of the accord was about a greater emphasis on pure equity making up most of a capital buffer, there was much discussion about creating forms of debt that were loss absorbing in times of distress. In late 2009, contingent capital, popularly referred to as CoCos, first appeared, when Lloyds Banking Group exchanged existing hybrid debt with these new securities. These instruments came with an explicit trigger where the debt would convert into equity when Lloyds’s tier-1 ratio fell below 5%. Rabobank’s March €1.25 billion 10-year transaction, lead managed by itself, Credit Suisse and Morgan Stanley, was the inaugural primary contingent capital issue.

Rabobank
Size: €1.25 billion contingent capital notes
Date: March 12
Leads: Credit Suisse, BAML, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Rabobank
Coupon: 6.875%

Because Rabobank is a member-owned cooperative, the issue couldn’t be converted into conventional equity. Instead, if its tier-1 ratio fell below a 7% trigger, the debt would be written down by 75%, while the bank would pay off the remaining 25% in cash to the investors. Rabo began discussions in late 2009 to develop the structure, and in early 2010 started soft sounding investors. It found a receptive investor base for its structure, although pricing was less certain. After roadshowing the deal to more than 200 investors, the deal priced at a yield of 6.875%, near the top end of the original soft-sounding price of between 6% and 7%, and with an order book totalling 181 investors, predominantly from the UK. "I’m absolutely convinced that contingent capital is an instrument that can be used by all banks, a new suite in the overall capital framework of all banks," says Bert Bruggink, Rabobank’s chief financial officer.

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree