The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.

Electronic bond trading

Edited: Peter Lee

    Bond market fingers on the button

One year after the introduction of the single currency and the birth of the unified market, competition to provide Europe with an electronic platform to trade government bonds has gathered pace. This year could be crucial to establish which system will become dominant in the near future.

At the moment, the hot favourite is EuroMTS. In operation since April, this platform is based on the 10-year-long successful experience of the Italian Mercato Telematico dei titoli di Stato (MTS) on the domestic market and has grown impressively over the past eight months. "Our market share is now approximately 25%. The remaining 75% is still largely dominated by brokers and the over-the-counter market," says Gianluca Garbi, managing director at EuroMTS. The figures are the more impressive because the percentage is calculated on all transactions, including the smaller ones that a wholesale system such as EuroMTS will never be able to trade.

In the past few months, EuroMTS has outpaced all other contenders. Xetra, a system owned by Deutsche Börse to trade cash bonds and other securities, has been struggling to reach satisfactory volumes in fixed income.





You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree