The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site.

All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.
Banking

Bond Outlook January 28 2010

It is a case of economists versus traders. Guess which are optimistic and which pessimistic. Which are right? Just as important, which view is gaining credence?

Bond Outlook [by bridport & cie, January 27th 2010]

The Obama/Volcker plans to reform the banking industry have set back financial market optimism, although majority opinion still seems to lie in favour of a sustainable and solid recovery. Our own view remains that GDP growth in the West can only be very modest – what we have described as the long horizontal leg of the L-shaped recession. There are those whose views are even more pessimistic than ours, of which there is a fair representation in the line up at Davos. The pessimistic view is reflected by the “economists” such as Roubini, Roach, Stieglitz and to some extent, Soros, while the “traders”, with spokesmen like Biggs and Doll, reflect the majority, optimistic view. A similar division of views can also be obtained from observing the various writers in the FT. By way of example, Authers writes of “risk aversion growing”, while Funnell sees a 70% chance of a “normal” or even a “good” recovery (and only 30% chance of a more gloomy outlook). Funnell nevertheless has a proviso for his optimism, “the key is the US employment market; without its recovery a general recovery is certainly doomed”.

You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree