Claiming Back Your VAT
All attendees of a London based course incur VAT as a part of the cost of attendance.
Euromoney Learning have partnered with VAT IT to allow you the unique opportunity to recoup the VAT incurred.
Using VAT IT's extensive experience and simple sign-up and refund process, every invoice can be turned into cash for your business.
Claim the VAT that's rightfully yours in four simple steps:
1. Register your interest
2. Sign a few simple documents
3. VAT IT processes your claim
4. Receive your refund
Why choose VAT IT
VAT IT have spent two decades identifying, researching and perfecting the foreign VAT Reclaim process and built the best back end technology in the industry. By partnering with Euromoney Learning, we can provide you with a fast and effective way to reclaim your VAT which helps reduce the cost of your training.
VAT IT will charge a percentage of the VAT refund if/when it is successful.
Can I claim back the VAT myself?
You can claim back VAT directly from the UK Tax Authority (HMRC) by completing the following form.
For European clients, please refer to form VAT 65.
All other clients, please refer to form VAT 65A.
You may also be able to claim back your VAT against courses taking place outside of the UK, and we would recommend contacting VAT IT, our specialist partner, to discuss how to do this.
Evaluating Alternative Investments
This three-day course gives an investment approach for evaluating the opportunities and pitfalls of alternative investments. The course includes some of the portfolio considerations of including alternatives, compared to traditional investments. It also has performance evaluation methods to ascertain Alpha that investors seek. Alternative investments generally include real estate, hedge funds, venture capital, private equity, commodities, as well as some other specialized areas, such as project financing and entertainment finance. This course covers some of the basics and includes valuation models that can be quite complex in making alternative investments. The course revolves around examples and discussions in class in order to enrich the knowledge of this topic. It is expected that students already have familiarity of introductory finance topics. Students are expected to participate in class examples and discussions.
Financial analysts, individual investors, asset allocators, auditors, high net-worth managers, specialists and financial planners.
Basic knowledge of the capital markets. Use of Excel and a financial calculator would be useful but not required for in-class examples
Overview of Alternative Investments
• Traditional Investments – Types compared to Alternative Investments
• Manager tricks in enhancing returns and investor traps in evaluating alternative investments will be done in each section
• Mark to market accounting
• Size and Growth of industry characteristics of Alternatives Investments
• Alternative Investments – Types. The most common and comments on more specialized ones
• Alternative Investments – Role in Modern Portfolio Theory
• Special Risk Measures beyond first and second movements such as return, standard deviation.
• Skewness, kurtosis, correlation, covariance issues
• Performance tricks
• Statistical issues such as VARs and probability modeling as pertinent to Alternative Investments
• Creating Optimal portfolios
• Timing when to do traditional as compared to alternative strategies
• Private Equity – Definition
• Private Equity – Legal Structures
• Venture Capital vs LBOs
• Challenges of Venture Capital in various investment stages
• Investment Methods
• Cash Flows versus accounting GAAP, IFRS versus Economic Accounting
• Traps in Cash Flows
• IRR issues
• Mileposts versus cash flows
• Exit strategies
• LBO/MBO Issues
• Project Financing
• Behavioral Issues and Herd Investing
• Evaluation of Risk/Reward Results
Private Equity vs. Hedge Funds
• Investment Approaches similarities and differences
• Hedge Fund Investments in Private Equity
DAY TWO AND THREE
• Definition of a Commodity Trading Advisor
• Fundamental and Technical Techniques
• Blending technical analysis uses including Fibonacci ratios, patterns, support/resistance tools, sentiment
• Contango and Backwardation Issues
• Tradeoffs on Investing in Physical commodities, producers or derivatives
• Margin requirements
• Special risks
• Evaluation of Risk/Reward Results
• Real Estate Structures
• Role in Portfolio Diversification
• Valuation Methods of NOI, ATCF, comparables
• Example and pro-forma issues
• Rent versus Own
• Direct investment compared to REITS and quasi-real estate companies
• Hidden real estate issues
• Financially engineering in Real Estate
• Evaluation of Risk/Reward Results
• Definition of a Hedge Fund
• Industry comments on size
• Some key legal structures and regulations
• Common Hedge Fund Traits
• Hedge Fund Styles and Strategies
• Some illustrated examples, including merger arb and carry trades
• More exotic strategies with black boxes and algorithmic trading
• Evaluating hedge funds on specialized risk measures,
• including Sortino, Omega, Drawdowns, Left Tail Stress Tests
• Database biases
• Leverage issues Evaluation of Risk/Reward Results
Alternatives and Other Issues
• Blended alternative investments risk/rewards results compared to traditional only investments
• Comments on other specialized alternative investments such as collectibles, entertainment financing, and High frequency trading
• Comments on replicating alternatives, especially hedge funds with the growing use of financial engineering methods
• Ethical issues and expected future regulation directions
• International Issues and opportunities
Our Tailored Learning Offering
Do you have five or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could even save up to 50% on the cost of sending delegates to a public course and dramatically increase your ROI.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment.
We have a combined experience of over 60 years providing learning solutions to the world’s major organisations and are privileged to have contributed to their success. We view our clients as partners and focus on understanding the needs of each organisation we work with to tailor learning solutions to specific requirements.
We are proud of our record of customer satisfaction. Here is why you should choose us to help you achieve your goals and accelerate your career:
- Quality – our clients consistently rate our performance ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’. Our average overall score awarded to us by our clients is nine out of ten.
- Track record – we have delivered training solutions for 95% of worlds’ top 100 banks and have trained over 250,000 professionals.
- Knowledge – our 150 strong team of industry specialist trainers are world leading financial leaders and commentators, ensuring our knowledge base is second to none.
- Reliability – if we promise it, we deliver it. We have delivered over 20,000 events both in person and online, using simultaneous translation to delegates from over 180 countries.
- Recognition – we are accredited by the British Accreditation Council and the CPD Certification Service. In an independent review by Feefo we scored 96% on service and 95% on product
BiographyJohn has over 30 years of experience in researching and managing money in global, emerging, and US small-cap stocks. He is currently in his 27th year as President and Chief Portfolio Manager at Global Emerging Growth Capital (GEGC). GEGC provides three major financial services: asset management, corporate finance, and knowledge consulting which includes financial training. John’s investment record has been ranked consistently in the upper quartile by consultants and reporting agencies such as Russell, Nelson, PSN, and MMR. Since 1980, his funds have doubled client money every five years, on average* This has been done with excellent risk measures, such as Sharpe and the Information Ratio. He has also advised a niche offshore institutional global fixed income fund for a major bank. Currently, GEGC operates as a family office. John also beat out several prominent global money managers for the award of a major Polish NIF government fund, and evaluated the largest private equity voucher fund in Bulgaria. He also created an institutional research list of Central and Eastern European companies that outperformed the respective index of MSCI; developed and marketed corporate finance deals in the region, and negotiated joint investment ventures in Russian and the Ukraine. He has also teamed with other managers in advising and developing asset management products in Eastern Europe, GCC, and Asia. Previously, Mr. Palicka spent 11 years as Managing Director and Chief Portfolio Manager for Midco Investors, an investment boutique in small/mid-cap stocks of the Prudential Insurance Company. During this time, he took an original investment of $25 million and grew it to over $1.5 billion, ranking high against performance measures. Mr. Palicka also spent seven years as an officer of Bankers Trust Co., where he was involved with various commercial banking activities, such as emerging markets lending in the Middle East.John’s knowledge consulting includes global financial training courses to major asset management, training, and regulatory firms, open public courses, and private tutorial classes with top ratings. John has taught courses in China, Europe, South America, and Europe. He has also created online training programs for major learning companies, such as NYIF and Fitch. He also consults to HNWs, hedge funds, and asset management firms on investment strategies, including Fusion Analysis. He is a member of the Financial Analysts and Money Managers of New York, and has taught finance courses at the Columbia Business School, Baruch, St. John’s University and New York University. He also teaches the CFA program, CMT Technical Analysis, and several finance courses, such as, portfolio theory, investments, and corporate finance for leading training firms. John has been quoted in business periodicals such as Business Week, Emerging Markets, Equity magazine, and the Wall Street Journal and has been interviewed on CNBC. He has also written articles in various business publications, and is the author of the finance book, Fusion Analysis. Fusion Analysis has attracted global interest and has been translated into Mandarin. Fusion Analysis predicted the post 08’ super bull market in the sweet spots during the dark days of the Great Recession. It produced the ultimate valuation model of combining all four investment forces.