Euromoney Learning On-Demand
Powered by Finance Unlocked
Learn about every aspect of finance, delivered through one-off videos and in-depth pathwaysLearn More
VAT on Virtual and Online Programmes
Claiming Back Your VAT
All attendees of a London based course incur VAT as a part of the cost of attendance.
Euromoney Learning have partnered with VAT IT to allow you the unique opportunity to recoup the VAT incurred.
Using VAT IT's extensive experience and simple sign-up and refund process, every invoice can be turned into cash for your business.
Claim the VAT that's rightfully yours in four simple steps:
1. Register your interest
2. Sign a few simple documents
3. VAT IT processes your claim
4. Receive your refund
Why choose VAT IT
VAT IT have spent two decades identifying, researching and perfecting the foreign VAT Reclaim process and built the best back end technology in the industry. By partnering with Euromoney Learning, we can provide you with a fast and effective way to reclaim your VAT which helps reduce the cost of your training.
VAT IT will charge a percentage of the VAT refund if/when it is successful.
Can I claim back the VAT myself?
You can claim back VAT directly from the UK Tax Authority (HMRC) by completing the following form.
For European clients, please refer to form VAT 65.
All other clients, please refer to form VAT 65A.
You may also be able to claim back your VAT against courses taking place outside of the UK, and we would recommend contacting VAT IT, our specialist partner, to discuss how to do this.
Interpersonal Skills for In-House Lawyers
This course represents module 2 of General Counsel & Chief Legal Officer (CLO) Programme.
Forward-looking Legal Counsel are setting a clear vision to meet business expectations in today’s increasingly complex and demanding world. Being a good lawyer with technical knowledge of the law is simply no longer enough. Legal Counsel are required to communicate, collaborate, motivate, influence, persuade, establish and maintain relationships and diffuse and resolve conflict with a variety of other people: up, down and across the organisation (C-suite, managers, direct reports, peers and colleagues) and outside the organisation (stakeholders, customers, suppliers, competitors and regulators). All these people have different backgrounds, perspectives and knowledge. They come from disparate disciplines and do not think like lawyers, but possess and demonstrate wholly different thinking, learning, communication and behavioural styles, and motivations. The key competencies necessary for Legal Counsel to meet these “people” challenges require deliberate and active upskilling.
Legal Counsel need to become SMARTER:
Self-aware: able to recognise your own strengths, weaknesses, beliefs, values, attitudes, motivations and emotions and to understand how you are perceived by others.
Motivated: able to inspire and empower yourself and others to develop full potential or to sustain high performance.
Adaptable: able to respond agilely and effectively to new and changed conditions, whether in legal service delivery or the organisation generally and to evolve to meet organisational needs.
Resilient: able to cope with unexpected challenges and to survive or recover quickly from pressures, setbacks or other situations which impact performance.
Team focused: able to apply professional knowledge and skills in ways that add value to the organisation as a whole and to work collaboratively with others to promote understanding and efficiency.
Emotionally engaged: able to perceive, understand, express and manage emotions in oneself and others to impact and influence outcomes and achieve personal, team or organisational goals.
Relatable: able to establish, build and maintain connections with others and be responsive, accessible, approachable and understandable to others.
This newly designed three day course is tailored specifically for Legal Counsel keen to meet the demands of business leaders who want their lawyers to deliver increasingly client-focused levels of service and continue their evolution as true partners in the business. If you are looking to work more effectively and efficiently with others, build and maintain successful and professional relationships, develop SMARTER skills and learn to adapt and use your skills confidently and effectively in different situations and contexts, then this interactive and highly practical course will help you to discover with insight, knowledge, ideas and skills how to connect, communicate, collaborate and contribute for better personal performance, team effectiveness and organisational impact.
The program will highlight valuable skills essential for success in a business environment, and will provide a useful forum for networking and sharing experiences. Delegates will be able to contribute to numerous group discussions, as well as draw upon the extensive experiences of each other and the Course Director.
By attending this course, you will learn about:
- Identifying your own and others’ thinking, learning, communication and behavioural styles
- What motivates you and others
- Recognising your own biases
- Optimising overall performance by developing clear and effective communication skills
- Manoeuvring office politics
- Developing more personal influence
- Adopting essential workplace survival skills
- Building your confidence and ability to work with other people
- Aspiring GCs, CLOs, Heads of Legal and Legal Directors
- Legal Counsel / in-house lawyers in corporates, government or charities whether or not currently responsible for managing others
- Private practice solicitors considering a move in-house
- Any lawyer seeking to maximise personal performance, team effectiveness and organisational impact
Note - A good level of spoken and written English is required to attend this course. Delegates should be of an intermediate standard in English at a minimum. Please refer to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages - as a guide the level required is B2.
Day One - Understanding yourself and others
How well do you know yourself, your colleagues and your organisation? Gain an understanding of what makes you and others “tick” and how that impacts the ways in which you perceive and are perceived by others and how that translates to good and bad human interactions and office politics.
The Personality Puzzle
- The Big 5: OCEAN
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- DiSC Profile
- Stereotypes: the “Lawyer Personality”
- Personal audit of key traits
- Self -Motivation
- Types of motivators:
- Motivation Theories:
- Motivating others
Minimise misinterpretation & misunderstanding
- Implicit or unconscious bias
- Cross-cultural awareness
- Fast and slow thinking
- Learning and communications styles
- Leadership styles
- Decision-making styles
- Office politics: challenges and strategies
Understanding and Developing Emotional Intelligence
- Become self-aware about your strengths and weaknesses
- Manage yourself according to the needs of your organisation
- Be socially aware about other people, and the politics of your organisation
- Build healthy relationship management among colleagues
Day Two - Essential survival tools and techniques
It's not enough to recognise differences in personalities, thinking, learning, communication and behavioural styles; you need to be able to adapt your own style and use tools and techniques to enable you to communicate and work together successfully with other people, especially when their styles are very different from your own. On Day 5, we explore some essential survival skills.
Practical Exercise: Leadership in Practice
- Recognising team dynamics
- Team Emotional Intelligence
- Model of Team Effectiveness
- Impact on performance
- Post Covid
- Change Impacts
- Mindset and Habit
- Dimensions of Flexibility
Constructive Conflict Management
- Common sources of conflict
- Options for managing conflict
- How to have difficult conversations
- Strategies for handling unreasonable and difficult colleagues
- Forging alliances
- Lawyer negativity and burnout
- Recognise what triggers your “buttons”
- Rest, recovery and recharge
- Envision choices and adjust perspective; but know when to quit
- Stress busters
Mindfulness and well-being
- Being present
- Mindfulness practices
- Well-being challenges
- Achieving balance
- Personal well-being assessment
Clinic: To discuss issues raised by participants
Building your own personal presence, credibility and gravitas
Programme Review and Feedback
Our Tailored Learning Offering
Do you have five or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could even save up to 50% on the cost of sending delegates to a public course and dramatically increase your ROI.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment.
We have a combined experience of over 60 years providing learning solutions to the world’s major organisations and are privileged to have contributed to their success. We view our clients as partners and focus on understanding the needs of each organisation we work with to tailor learning solutions to specific requirements.
We are proud of our record of customer satisfaction. Here is why you should choose us to help you achieve your goals and accelerate your career:
- Quality – our clients consistently rate our performance ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’. Our average overall score awarded to us by our clients is nine out of ten.
- Track record – 10/10 of the world’s largest banks have chosen us as there training provider and we have delivered training across the largest banks and have trained over 25,000 professionals.
- Knowledge – our 100+ strong team of industry specialist trainers are world leading financial leaders and commentators, ensuring our knowledge base is second to none.
- Reliability – if we promise it, we deliver it. We have delivered over 25,000 events both in person and online, using simultaneous translation to delegates from over 99 countries.
- Recognition – we are accredited by the British Accreditation Council and the CPD Certification Service. In an independent review by Feefo we scored 4.2/5 on service and 4.7/5 on Coursecheck
- A practical real-world curriculum of both personal and professional skills for empowering in-house lawyers to respond and meet the demands of business leaders to deliver value to their organisations
BiographyKelli Read is an experienced and versatile general counsel with an extensive background in finance, M&A, corporate, commercial, contractual and risk management matters, gained over 25 years’ global experience in a variety of environments. Kelli has worked in both the public and private sector, in private practice and in-house,– in legal, business and leadership roles - including law firms (King & Wood Mallesons, Herbert Smith Freehills), investment banking (Nomura International), financial services (RBS Group/WorldPay & BNY Mellon), private equity (Terra Firma Capital Partners & GI Partners), a non-departmental public body (QCDA), professional services (PwC & AlixPartners), technology services (SQS Group and Shift Left), higher education (The University of Law) and as an executive (Commercial Director) in portfolio business operations in the healthcare and education sectors (Cambian Group).Kelli was born in and was first qualified and practised in Australia. She was later admitted as a UK solicitor in 1992 and has lived and practised law in the UK since 1996. Kelli is London-based and balances a portfolio career working as a general counsel adviser to SMEs and as a consultant to in-house legal departments, specialising in the training and coaching of lawyers and teams, developing strategies and building skills for better personal performance, team effectiveness and organisational impact. Kelli has a particular interest in legal team assessment, team building and leadership coaching. She is accredited in individual (Trait Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire (TEIQue®) and team emotional intelligence assessment (Team Ei Survey) and was recently certified in the Bates Executive Presence Index (ExPI™) assessment tool.Kelli is an engaging presenter who challenges participants to think critically about how to meet the complex challenges faced by in-house counsel and what the legal department should be considering and doing to tailor itself to and be aligned with business needs.
The map attached details some of our most frequently used venues
If you need help booking accommodation for your visit, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our partners will help you get the best rate possible.