Euromoney Learning On-Demand
Powered by Finance Unlocked
Learn about every aspect of finance, delivered through one-off videos and in-depth pathwaysLearn More
VAT on Virtual and Online Programmes
Claiming Back Your VAT
All attendees of a London based course incur VAT as a part of the cost of attendance.
Euromoney Learning have partnered with VAT IT to allow you the unique opportunity to recoup the VAT incurred.
Using VAT IT's extensive experience and simple sign-up and refund process, every invoice can be turned into cash for your business.
Claim the VAT that's rightfully yours in four simple steps:
1. Register your interest
2. Sign a few simple documents
3. VAT IT processes your claim
4. Receive your refund
Why choose VAT IT
VAT IT have spent two decades identifying, researching and perfecting the foreign VAT Reclaim process and built the best back end technology in the industry. By partnering with Euromoney Learning, we can provide you with a fast and effective way to reclaim your VAT which helps reduce the cost of your training.
VAT IT will charge a percentage of the VAT refund if/when it is successful.
Can I claim back the VAT myself?
You can claim back VAT directly from the UK Tax Authority (HMRC) by completing the following form.
For European clients, please refer to form VAT 65.
All other clients, please refer to form VAT 65A.
You may also be able to claim back your VAT against courses taking place outside of the UK, and we would recommend contacting VAT IT, our specialist partner, to discuss how to do this.
International Oil Trading
The International Oil Trading programme will show you how to use trading and hedging to profit from, and protect against, oil market movements.
Setting the scene for oil trading, the practical four-day course examines markets, pricing and products to provide you with a thorough overview of the sector. It explores mechanisms and tools for both physical and financial oil trading to give you an unparalleled view into the world of trading, its role within the oil industry and its importance in the success of oil companies.
The course also features an electronic refining & trading simulation – allowing you to put into practice what you have learnt from the course by competing against the other delegates in this real life electronic trading game!
By the end of the programme, you will have a thorough understanding of the workings of crude oil markets and the range of contracts, tools and techniques available to traders.
Attend this practical 4-day training course and enhance your knowledge in the following key areas:
- Supply and demand: fundamentals and implications
- Crude evaluation and selection
- Physical markets, pricing & price exposure
- An introduction to brent Oil trading and jargon
- Hedging instruments: forward & futures
- Oil refining
- Swaps International product trade flows and transport
- Trading: options and risk management strategies
- Dated Brent and the 21 Day BFO market & CFD’s
- Market reporting and price assessment
- ICE Management issues
Why should you attend this course?
- Review crude oil supply, demand and products
- Understand crude oil refining, evaluation and selection
- Explore physical markets, shipping and contracts
- Appreciate pricing formation and price risk management
- Learn about futures, swaps, options and over- the-counter markets
- Become familiar with trading techniques and terminology
- Participate in trading & hedging exercises and improve negotiation skills
Who should attend?
- Sales & Marketing
- Account managers
- Risk managers
- Operations managers
History of Oil and Oil Trading
- How oil trading has developed over the last 100 years
- The growth and decline of the role of major oil companies
- OPEC its history and influence over world oil markets
- The role of traders, speculators, banks, hedge funds and algorhythmic trading
Physical Crude Oil
- Crude oil classification, important characteristics, and assays
- Different types of crude oil production and the associated costs
- Logistics and storage
- The Growth of North American Shale and Oil Sands Crude Supply
Global Crude Oil Supply and Demand and Current Market Influences
- Crude oil fundamentals and implications
- Oil Reserves and Production
- The future of the oil price in world markets
- What are the drivers for crude oil supply and demand?
Crude Oil Pricing Methodologies and Benchmarks
- Physical crude oil trading and pricing mechanisms
- Introduction to price exposure and positions
- The role of benchmarks in crude oil pricing
- Brent crude oil as a benchmark and its evolution
- Dated Brent and Brent forwards
Introduction to futures trading – Crude Oil futures
Day 1 Simulation: trading an oil based crude futures contract, a new unique simulation based on real historic events and news feeds where the price path actually reflects participants’ actions
Refining and Oil Products
Oil Refining 101, Refining Economics and Current Oil Refining Issues
- How refineries work
- What are refining economics?
- Gross Product Worth
- Refinery logistical constraints
- Oil refining today and the future
Oil Products, their uses, global specifications and future developments
- Naphtha and Petrochemicals
- Kerosene/Jet Fuel
- Fuel Oil
Oil Product Supply and Demand, Trade Flows and logistics
Oil Futures 2 – Introducing products and product cracks
Day 2 Simulation: Arbitrage Trading, using futures crude and products contracts to simulate arbitrage trade flows. Once again we will be using a new unique simulation based on real historic events and news feeds with participants being able to take on the role of oil refiner, market maker or even as a broker and where the price path actually reflects participants actions
The Financial Markets
- The Growth and Evolution of Futures, Derivatives and Cleared Markets in Oil Trading
- How an OTC oil contract works
- Hedging and Speculative Trading
- The role of different market participants
- Exposure, risk limits, the role of middle and back office
- Clearing, how it works in both traditional and otc cleared markets and requirements on both company and individuals.
- Time Spreads, Grade Spreads, Crack Spreads, Arbitrage and Relative Value trading with worked real world examples in both crude and products
- Technical Analysis
- Options Trading
Day 3 Simulation: Relative Value Trading
Participants working in pairs will have some historic price relationships supplied between a number of crude oil and products markets, and they have to use this to spot disparities in the forward curve as the simulation progresses, taking into account relevant information supplied about the recent history and any news relevant to this relationship. Again depending on the number of participants, it is possible to take on a number of roles
Risk Management, Trading Best Practice and Decision Making
The Psychology of Trading and Decision Making
- The “Financialization of Energy Markets
- Theories of market behaviour: Efficient markets vs. Adaptive Market Hypothesis
- How we make decisions
- Overview of Behavioural and Cognitive Bias
- Risk Aversion
- Persuasion and hindsight bias
- Information bias
- A Framework for Understanding Trader Psychology
Shipping, physical and freight forward markets
- How physical oil shipping markets work
- Vessel types
- Freight contracts explained
- Freight Forward Agreements, their evolution and growth
Risk management best practices
- Defining risk management activities and terms
- Close out value - liquidity measures in OTC markets
- Understanding and interpreting value-at-risk measures, VaR
- Stress tests as a complementary tool to VaR and other market risk measures
- Risk Reports - Enhancing exposure reports with risk analysis
- Risk Framework
Recent changes in regulation directly effecting trading both now and in the future
- MIFID2, MAD and other regulatory changes directly effecting oil trading and traders
- Current issues around supply and demand
- The growth of biofuels and alternative fuels
- Oil relationship with other commodities
- Agricultural Products
Oil Relationship with other asset classes
Simulation 4: European Refinery Trader
Participants working in pairs have a refinery or a group of refineries to supply and hedge. Players have to decide when to run, where to source crude oil from including the ability to store crude and products and trade and hedge accordingly, trading oil futures, and oil OTC products. This simulation will be complex and will again use our unique historically based simulator with market movement and news story’s reflecting actual events
Our Tailored Learning Offering
Do you have five or more people interested in attending this course? Do you want to tailor it to meet your company’s exact requirements? If you’d like to do either of these, we can bring this course to your company’s office. You could even save up to 50% on the cost of sending delegates to a public course and dramatically increase your ROI.
If you want to run this course at a location convenient to you or if you want a completely customised learning solution, we can help.
We produce learning solutions that are completely unique to your business. We’ll guide you through the whole process, from the initial consultancy to evaluating the success of the full learning experience. Our learning specialists ensure you get the maximum return on your training investment.
We have a combined experience of over 60 years providing learning solutions to the world’s major organisations and are privileged to have contributed to their success. We view our clients as partners and focus on understanding the needs of each organisation we work with to tailor learning solutions to specific requirements.
We are proud of our record of customer satisfaction. Here is why you should choose us to help you achieve your goals and accelerate your career:
- Quality – our clients consistently rate our performance ‘excellent’ or ‘outstanding’. Our average overall score awarded to us by our clients is nine out of ten.
- Track record – 10/10 of the world’s largest banks have chosen us as there training provider and we have delivered training across the largest banks and have trained over 25,000 professionals.
- Knowledge – our 100+ strong team of industry specialist trainers are world leading financial leaders and commentators, ensuring our knowledge base is second to none.
- Reliability – if we promise it, we deliver it. We have delivered over 25,000 events both in person and online, using simultaneous translation to delegates from over 99 countries.
- Recognition – we are accredited by the British Accreditation Council and the CPD Certification Service. In an independent review by Feefo we scored 4.2/5 on service and 4.7/5 on Coursecheck
BiographyAndy is a highly experienced commodity trading and risk management professional with a demonstrated history of working across commodities. Skilled in Portfolio Management, Commodity Risk Management, Consultancy, Training and Proprietary Trading. Andy has worked as a Trader for BP, UBS, Engen Petroleum, Oak Commodities, Graham Capital and as a Trader and Head of Oil, LNG, Biofuels and Soft Commodity Trading for RWE. He has extensive experience in business development and advisory functions for Trading and Broking Companies and has set up new commodity cleared instruments working closely with major exchanges to do so.