The material on this site is for financial institutions, professional investors and their professional advisers. It is for information only. Please read our Terms & Conditions, Privacy Policy and Cookies before using this site. Please see our Subscription Terms and Conditions.


All material subject to strictly enforced copyright laws. © 2021 Euromoney, a part of the Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC.

Near-term outlook gloomy for corporate finance activity

Australia and the United Kingdom may have raised interest rates last week, but that does not necessarily imply a return to widespread investor confidence for a return to the boom times.

Following a study by Grant Thornton Corporate Finance, the financial and business advisor, the recovery in corporate finance activity is still at least six months away according to mid-market venture capitalists and brokers surveyed by Grant Thornton Corporate Finance.


Business services, healthcare, financial services, retail and leisure, were identified as the only sectors worth investing in over the next six months, however, according to 60% of respondents, only certain sub-sectors and niche operators within this group were tipped to experience some renewed buoyancy. The remaining 40% of respondents showed mixed levels of confidence in all other sectors and surprisingly overlooked food and media, two sectors which, given recent market and legislative developments, could provide interesting deal opportunities.


"The first signs of greater business and commercial optimism that we are currently witnessing are still well short of infecting entire sectors. As a result, the vast majority of deal opportunities are concentrated around high-quality businesses that operate within niche sectors that can offer a point of differentiation.



You have reached premium content. Please log in to continue reading.

Read beyond the headlines with Euromoney

For over 50 years, our readers have looked to Euromoney to stay informed about the issues that matter in the international banking and financial markets. Find out more about our different levels of access below.

SUBSCRIBE ONLINE TODAY

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com

Expert comment, long reads and in-depth analysis interviews with senior finance professionals

Access the results of our market-leading annual surveys across core financial services

Access the results of our annual awards, including the world-renowned Awards for Excellence

Your print copy of Euromoney magazine delivered monthly

£73.75 per month

Billed Annually

FREE 7 DAY TRIAL

Unlimited access to Euromoney.com and Asiamoney.com, including our top stories, long reads, expert analysis, and the results of our annual surveys and awards

Sign up to any of our newsletters, curated by our editors

LOGIN NOW

Already a user?

We use cookies to provide a personalized site experience.
By continuing to use & browse the site you agree to our Privacy Policy.
I agree